Common Desk is searching for a Director of Accounting. This position reports to the CEO and oversees the overall accounting function for the company, with direct reports responsible for location accounting, AP, and AR. This role’s primary activities include managing, reviewing and ensuring the integrity of the financial statements and accounting processes for Common Desk, Inc., as well as managing the Common Desk accounting team. In addition, this role will assist in various projects as needed.
Common Desk’s mission is to enhance every workday by creating thoughtful moments, human connections, and a sense of belonging–for all. We do this by providing collaborative workspaces and game-changing amenities to professionals of all kinds, and we operate a growing network of coworking spaces and workday brands that are authentically designed to give a sense of workplace belonging. We pride ourselves in having a staff and member culture who make every day at our shared offices noteworthy. The Common Desk staff strives daily to be energetic, welcoming, tight-knit, and fun. Our staff culture drips from the top down into the culture among our members within our spaces, and it’s the secret sauce to our brand’s overarching success.
- Oversee timely preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements, along with reporting the Common Desk location specific results.
- Analysis of cash flow and financial statements, and working with company leadership to update the investor financial model.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet and reconciliations.
- Provide strategic and day-to-day management of the accounting team and act as the key liaison between accounting and all other departments in the company.
- Maintain and enhance an appropriate control environment.
- Support the growth of the company by enhancing and implementing improvements in the financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems as needed.
- Ensure adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Optimize the capabilities of the financial organization by assessing talent and coaching and mentoring where appropriate, and by developing the most effective team structure.
- Apply technical accounting expertise to ensure compliance with and efficient application of accounting principles.
- Participate in the development and support of business strategies.
- Communicate effectively within the team and with internal and external customers and data providers, including presentations to all levels of management and external stakeholders.
- Provide technical guidance and expertise on business issues of high accounting complexity as needed.
- Provide and implement creative solutions that challenge traditional methods and processes.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Assist external firms with ensuring local, state, and federal government reporting compliance and tax filings as needed.
- Direct all payroll activities, including vendor selection and management.
- 10+ years of experience in a Corporate Accounting or a General Ledger Accounting role, preferably including early-stage company experience.
- 5+ years of leading, managing and developing teams, both degreed and non-degreed team members.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Accounting or related field, with preference for an MBA or Masters of Accounting.
- Experience leading teams in implementing process improvements.
- Experience in project management.
- Superior organizational skills with ability to multi-task, prioritize, and delegate work assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Experience with Cost and Project accounting.
- Ability to analyze results to assess financial and/or strategic impacts of business decisions.
- Thrives in environment of continual improvement, both contributing to and supporting change as a cultural element.
- Experience with MRI and Yardi, a plus.
- Promotes a culture of excellence
- Encourages professional and personal growth for all team members
- Provides strong leadership, team building, and autonomy
- Encourages all team members to work hard and play hard daily
- Rewards and retains top talent with competitive compensation and benefits
- UHC Insurance with healthcare, dental, and vision options
- Monthly phone bill coverage of $75 a month
- Fitness reimbursement through ClassPass of $50 a month
- A ton of cool swag