If you’ve driven down Deep Ellum’s section of Commerce Street in the past few months, you’ve probably noticed a few changes! New murals, new restaurants, and a newly-revised Common Desk - Deep Ellum are just a handful of things you’ll now notice on historical Commerce. On the Common Desk end, we’ve not only re-painted our bricks and added new signs into the exterior mix, we’ve implemented hospitality into every aspect of how we operate as a company.
Let’s dive into a little backstory to get you caught up to speed:
Common Desk opened its flagship location in Deep Ellum as one of the very first true coworking spaces in Dallas-Fort Worth back in the fall of 2012. Now, nearly 5 years later, the OG Common Desk is more popularly known as “Common Desk - Deep Ellum,” and it’s been a business home to hundreds of Dallas entrepreneurs, freelancers, creatives, misfits, remote workers, startups, and small businesses throughout the years. Though we've added new spaces to the CD fam (see Common Desk - Oak Cliff and Common Desk - West Plano), Common Desk - Deep Ellum has managed to maintain all of its charming quirks, proving itself to be a true one-of-a-kind in a growing network of coworking spaces throughout Dallas.
“CD-DE,” as we call it, has experienced significant change over these past 5 years: it’s undergone 3 different expansions, has seen 3 re-brands, and has grown in total size from the original 3,500 square feet in 2012 to the current total of 17,000 square feet of shared office space. That's a pretty big growth spurt for a 5 year-old, right?! The photos shown throughout the article give a visual representation of just a few of the ways our Deep Ellum coworking space has grown and evolved over the years. This coworking space has seen so many stories, dreams, mishaps, successes, and milestones through its member community, and it's crazy to think of all the ones yet to come.
So now we know the old, but what's NEW at Common Desk - Deep Ellum?
On the facility and operations side, we’ve got several fresh features for people to be excited about. These include… (drum roll, please):
- A refreshed exterior, painted black from the original red, that boasts a fresh new Common Desk street sign and a new reclaimed wood storefront sign (because you know we can’t do anything without adding reclaimed wood).
- A brand new front entrance that looks 10/10 less sketchy than it did before and allows natural light to illuminate the space (and all our members said, “Amen”).
- A next-level front desk, aka our “Hospitality Bar,” that greets you with nitro cold brew coffee, craft beer, snacks/sodas/breakfast items for purchase, and a smiling CD staff member. Members also have the ability to grab their mail and/or hot coffee or tea as soon as they walk into the space.
- Coffee shop seating arrangement that's centered around natural light and the hospitality bar, for those of us who love that quintessential coffee shop aesthetic.
- A new mural of an inspirational Tupac quote, for obvious reasons.
- A NAP ROOM. Need we say more?
- Two beautiful conference rooms (one of which has conference call capabilities).
- A shower, for all of our exercise gurus and bike-to-work enthusiasts.
- A new garage door that opens up to let in even more fresh air and connect the kitchen area to our outdoor patio / work area (fun fact: you can rent the patio as a conference room!).
- More pods of hot of the press custom-built Common Desk dedicated desks.
- And last, but certainly not least, 10 new private offices, ranging in size from 2-person all the way up to 5, bringing CD-DE’s total office count from 6 to 16.
For a behind the scenes look at how Common Desk opens a new location (and to see our Founder in a crawfish suit), check out this video!
Common Desk as an entity has strived to stand for hospitality since day 1 of its existence
As you can see, we’ve been a little busy over the past few months, and we couldn’t be more pleased with how all of our new features panned out!
As exciting as all of the above are, none of these features would be complete without a touch of hospitality driving them.
Common Desk as an entity has strived to stand for hospitality since day 1 of its existence, meaning that all of our staffers are trained to put the Common Desk member community and its needs first, no matter what position they are hired to do. That’s why at any given point throughout the workweek you might notice Nick, our Founder and CEO, plunging toilets or sweeping the floor, our Operations Manager, Julio, giving tours or scrubbing dishes, or our Deep Ellum Community Manager, Katy, wiping down counters, sorting mail, or helping a member with printing.
There’s a huge difference between an office space and a community.
Common Desk exists to be a community, facilitated by a staff that hosts said community within an office space. Without service and hospitality, Common Desk would just be another office space occupying another set of buildings in Dallas, TX. Because of this, the Common Desk staff is continuously striving to place hospitality at the forefront of every single new addition in our spaces, whether in Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff, or in our newly announced West Plano space. We want our members and guests to know that everything they see when they step into our spaces has been thoughtfully engineered to help them do whatever it is they do in the best way possible.
So, what are you waiting for? Experience our space, new additions, and community for yourself! We’d love to show you around and hear all about what you do over a cold beer or hot cup of coffee (you can schedule a tour here!). Our desks and offices are ready to give your business the creative home it's been looking for!